Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Secret To Life

NP - Kasabian - Club Foot

Wow, theres so much I want to blog these days. I already have 3 other blog posts in mind, but for some reason I'd rather post them one by one. I'll probably do 2 of them tomorrow, and let the third one go.

Anyway, I dont pretend to have the answers. If I did, I wouldnt be here. I'd either be the CEO of a huge corporation that runs the world, or be blissfully alone on some desert island in the middle of the Pacific. But although I may not have the answers, I have some ideas, and who knows, there might be some truth in them. And theres nothing new here, just old, rehashed ideas that people were saying before our grandmas were born.

The secret to life. How do you live a long, healthy, happy life? Theres no way to guarantee either of those things - you could die in a car accident tomorrow, you could get some horrible disease and waste away...or you could just be miserable. But I think theres things you can do that can help you ensure that, barring those things, you live more or less the best you can.

1. Diet: I'm a huge believer in the importance of diet (but sadly I dont practice what I preach). Its everything. And its simpler than most think. The way I see it, fundamentally you cant go wrong if you go natural. Minimise preservatives, chemicals, etc. Get fruits and veggies. I cant go into too much depth because I'm not a dietrician...and I'm lucky in that I've never had weight problems, so I cant talk from a weight-loss perspective. But I think keeping an eye on your diet, cutting out the stuff you know are bad, then you're on the right track.

The importance of diet? Everything. The three things I list here all relate, and I'll get into that in the end.

2. An active lifestyle: its the curse of Oman: the lack of activity, the lack of movement, and consequently the lack of energy, the lack of motivation. When there IS something to do, you feel lethargic and dont feel like doing it. If you can, you put it off. Sit at home, watch TV, sleep a lot, and do nothing. But the strange thing is, when I'm active, I find I have more energy than otherwise. I feel like doing things, and when I do them, I'm not tired afterwards. I have that energy, I get things done, and I feel good about it. Because lethargic people dont feel good about anything.

3. The right mindset: I'm still learning this one. You cant sit back and wait for things to make you happy, you need to make yourself happy. It sounds silly, but it seems to work. Ever feel happy BECAUSE you're feeling happy? It almost sounds insane, but hey, if it gets you happy, then why not? Happy people are successful people. Also, you need to be positive about everything. Even if bad things happen, its important to be able to shrug them off, or see the bright side (if there is any), and take things as they come. Like I said I'm still learning this, I'm not very good at it. But the point is I'm learning.


So how does these all link? I dont think you can have, say, the right mindset and an active lifestyle, without giving the proper attention to your diet. I dont think you can have one or two and expect things to work - thats why it isnt easy...you need all three. A healthy diet will do wonders for your mood and your motivation - its hard to be active when you're diet consists of McDonalds for breakfast. And I've found that when I do eat healthy, I'm more motivated to do stuff, and I'm generally more upbeat. Having an active lifestyle will also have a positive effect on your mindset, whereas being down all the time is likely to keep you from doing anything. So theyre all interlinked.

I dunno, it seems to make sense to me. Obviously the hard part is putting it all together and living it. But I think, as a general philosophy towards living, it doesnt need to be too much more complicated than nurturing those three things. For sure, you can go into a lot of depth regarding each of those, but what works in that case will differ from person to person. But as a general overview, I think what I've said makes a lot of sense.

Posted by illogicist at 8:25 AM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger Samyah posted at 9/12/2006 09:06:00 PM  
    Three things I firmly believe in and try my best to follow (albiet the odd chocolate chip cookie..). Great post Z :)
  2. Blogger Kay posted at 9/13/2006 05:46:00 AM  
    Hey guys i've tried calling the 9.04 fm and the number you posted Sam isnt listend or out of service.
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9/13/2006 12:55:00 PM  
    what about marijuana?!
  4. Blogger Samyah posted at 9/13/2006 01:57:00 PM  
    That was the number when I was there a few months ago, been that # for years and years. Maybe they've changed it now, no se. Pero si quieres el nombre puedes preguntarle algun.
  5. Blogger illogicist posted at 9/15/2006 01:29:00 PM  
    Chocolate chip cookies, goooood (especially the ones at the caf here, oh my GOD)!!!

    Pot, baaaaad!!!


    Omanradio, gotta be 24602058....I cant think of anything else, the week before I left it was that...

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page