Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Cleaning out my Inbox

I just had a very interesting experience. I dont usually delete SMS messages on my phone, but this morning I started to run out of space, so I decided to go back and delete all the messages that I didnt want to keep (I keep some of the nicer ones). And it was like a trip back through time, to about october 2005. The major events of last academic year were all chronicled in those text messages. And the most interesting part is that they arent detailed as such, but through communication with other people - and their subsequent communication with me - those events were brought back to life in my memory. And it was in reverse order. So from when I first arrived back in Oman in June, to my 2nd semester exams, backwards to Eid, my first semester exams, my xmas break, and finally to the break up of a close friend (which is the first event my phone captures). And almost everything in between.

Almost, but not all. This is the bit which I like. There are some things which you would really expect to have chronicled on your phone via text messages which were missing. I guess it tells a lot about those events, but at the time, you dont think of it :p.

Now my phone is nice and clean, with only about 20 SMS messages I've kept. In time more SMSs will come in and maybe in another year, maybe, less, it'll be time do clean out my phone again. That'll be interesting too.

Posted by illogicist at 2:39 PM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger a7MeDiNo posted at 8/02/2006 02:20:00 AM  
    Yah well, I keep them for a month at most. It really is nice to go back in time via SMS ;)
  2. Blogger Noors posted at 8/02/2006 08:11:00 AM  
    I'm like that!

    One of the reasons I didn't want to change my phone was because I didn't want to lose my msgs lol.

    It's nice to have some of the ones that bring back memories from the past.
  3. Blogger NiGhTFaCe posted at 8/02/2006 06:39:00 PM  
    I have all the space in my phone to keep my messages. But, I cant do that, from time to time, I will start deleting them.

    Though I saved some special SMS from the sim card in the phone, I like going back to read them.
  4. Blogger Postoevsky posted at 8/03/2006 04:52:00 PM  
    That's funny - I actually juuust finished from clearing up my inbox in my old email. It feels like I just completed a wearisome task or something but I mean I was just clickin a damn mouse :p

    I never ever keep my phone inbox too full - my phone is common ground at home, so if I did leave it, my whole family would know about all my friends' personal lives :p
  5. Blogger illogicist posted at 8/04/2006 03:10:00 AM  
    I have this thing with my phone where I can plug it into my laptop and store SMS messages there. It seems kinda pointless, but I've done it a couple of times.

    @fatamo: My inbox is next. Right now I'm cleaning my room - which is a nightmare (unless I put on some good music, in which case its fun). Then I have to move onto organising my laptop - Im a neatness freak when it comes to that. After that its my email. The good thing about gmail is that I dont ever have to delete stuff, but with my university email account i only get 40mbs, so at the end of every semester I go back and delete emails I dont need anymore. Its time to do that again.

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page