Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I Cant Bridge The Macro-Micro Divide

NP - Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Tell Me Baby

Yeah, so I'm having a problem with that. What I mean is like, suppose you have some problem which is to do with you and only you. You feel its pretty big, but on the scale of things, its pretty minor. But it doesnt matter - its important to you. And then you have problems like billions of people starving around the world. They dont directly affect you, but they're massive, huge problems.

I cant seem to give these problems in my own life the appropriate level of importance. People tend to take these 'micro' problems pretty seriously, e.g. having an argument with a best friend, liking a girl who doesnt like you back, getting a low grade in a subject you thought you did well in. Macro problems on the other hand, like the death of an uncle whos left behind a wife and children, tend to have less importance for most people, because they dont affect them personally as much.

I tend to fluctuate. When I have these micro problems, they dominate my mind and I cant think of anything else. I cant take my mind off them at all...until I'm hit with a macro problem. When that happens, I feel guilty for giving so much importance to my micro problems, which on the grand scale of things, have no relevance. Which is why sometimes (and only sometimes) I just cant sympathise with a lot of the stuff I see on TV. Like stories about bullying may not arouse as much emotion in me as stories of civil war for example. Im not sure if I'm getting it across right, but this happens sometimes, and I cant seem to balance what I should be worried about and what I shouldn't.

Theres also the issue of what I can do something about and what I cant. Generally the micro problems you can do something about (although not even close to always), while the macro ones you're helpless about. So it makes sense to give those macro ones less thought and concentrate on the things you can do. But I'm not so good at this, which needless to say, leads to problems.

Anyone able to relate?

Posted by illogicist at 2:10 PM

6 Comments

  1. Blogger Abdullah Al-Bahrani posted at 7/11/2006 06:41:00 PM  
    Yes, I can relate. Its easier for me to give more attention to others than to myself. However, after a while of ignoring myself I find that my life is out of Whack and unorganized.
    The balance is tough.
    Im at the point where I have realized that you cant help others and focus on the big picture, if the small parts are not in order.
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 7/12/2006 04:26:00 AM  
    That makes sense...are the small parts ever fully in order though :s it seems things always seem to come up
  3. Blogger Abdullah Al-Bahrani posted at 7/12/2006 08:47:00 AM  
    Your right, small parts are/will never be in place. However if helping others puts you in worse place, then the parts are not in order.
  4. Blogger illogicist posted at 7/12/2006 10:19:00 AM  
    Thats true. I guess that leaves me with a lot of work to do, in terms of the small things! Because theres a lot of chance for me to get active on my campus for example, but either I dont find the time, the motivation, or when I do, I find it largely ineffective.

    I ought to clarify: those problems are not necessarily mine. I was just trying to describe general problems. Although they might very soon be my problems (for example my grades come out very soon and Im crapping myself :p). Its just that a dear friend of mine who read this thought I was talking about myself, so I thought maybe others would too.
  5. Blogger Luisa posted at 7/15/2006 06:38:00 AM  
    U know you think too much which is good in general but not always
  6. Blogger illogicist posted at 7/15/2006 01:22:00 PM  
    I do. My brain doesnt stop, and theres no way for me to make it. Pretty much defeats the purpose of holidays eh?

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page