Thursday, March 30, 2006

Arty Farty Lemon Tarty

I'm not an artist. I readily admit it. Okay, I enjoy art, and I do appreciate a lot of art. I like stuff by Klimt, Dali, Picasso, Escher, and so on.

Theres even some modern art I like - but theres only so much modern art I can take before I lose patience. Which sucks, because some modern art is absolutely amazing. The problem is, a lot of it isn't. A lot of it is pretentious bollocks drawn up by what seems like five year-olds high on cannabis, acid, and a little bit of absynthe to boot. All the socio-political commentary that comes with some of it is just...argh!

I was in the Tate Modern Art Museum today (London is fantastic like that: so much to see). For the first hour, hour and a half, I had a good time. I tried to appreciate a lot of the art I saw, even the strange stuff. Half the enjoyment was watching the people who were there - arty types are cool. But after about that hour and a half, I started to lose my patience. A lot of the stuff there was...well...insulting to me, in the sense that...well, I just didnt see the connection between the picture and the description. Like I said before, I appreciate art, and anyone who knows me knows I'm not thick. But explain this to me. A picture of blue...just blue. And in the top theres a small streak of yellow. And the yellow somehow, somehow represents 'the struggle against socio-political dictatorships and authoritarianism of the human creativity' (paraphrased, its bollocks). Im standing there for ten minutes staring at this blue monstrosity thinking "what? eh? hmph? .... quonk? *sigh*"

And this goes on, and this gets worse. Really, wtf :s

Posted by illogicist at 2:34 PM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Postoevsky posted at 3/31/2006 08:06:00 AM  
    MODERN ART WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD.

    That said, I agree about that socio-politico-eco-co-co-co stuff -it's total b.s.

    and what's more frustrating is the insane amounts of money ppl pay for them. Ugh!
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 3/31/2006 11:26:00 PM  
    I really don't give a damn about art.. So not into it..

    SoMe1
  3. Blogger illogicist posted at 4/01/2006 03:32:00 AM  
    That 'The Bay' picture? 1.5 million? You gotta be kidding me...I've done better/worse (im not sure which is more highly regarded) crap than that in high school, I never got paid one baiza. Argh.

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page