Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Rant

Ignore this post if you dont feel as strongly about corporate culture (so-called) as I do. Chances are you dont.

On a particular message board I visit, someone has joined with a name which I found very, very sad. It basically identified wholeheartedly with a company. Lets call this person Mr. Nike.

Mr. Nike. It makes my blood boil just thinking about it. The name 'Mr. Nike' represents the extent to which we've completely and utterly sold out. It represents the victory of consumer so-called culture over anything and everything we call sacred. When people start to identify themselves as pawns in the corporate game, willingly and proudly, you know the whole world is starting to tilt a little. I once saw a kid with a shaved head, except for a Nike Swoosh of hair on the back. It was funny then - now its disgusting.

This recent bout of anger is brought about by this documentary I'm in the middle of, called The Corporation. Its shocking. I'll write a full blog post about it later hopefully.

Posted by illogicist at 1:01 PM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger muscati posted at 2/08/2006 09:27:00 PM  
    The Corporation is a very good documentary. Definitely a must-see for everyone.

    Have you read the book No Logo by Naomi Klein?
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 2/08/2006 11:57:00 PM  
    Im halfway through right now, had to pause yesterday but I'll finish it tonight.

    Muscati no I havent, whats it about? Im currently compiling a reading list of stuff I need to try to get my hands on.
  3. Blogger Arabian Princess posted at 2/10/2006 07:38:00 AM  
    I totally agree with you that its sad!!

    If you buy a non designer bag you are considered cheap, if you dont wear designer clothes you are considered not classy..

    where can I find this documentary?
  4. Blogger illogicist posted at 2/10/2006 01:28:00 PM  
    Its pretty big, I dont think it'd be available in Oman (demand) but it should be easy to get from like Amazon.
  5. Blogger Lym posted at 2/11/2006 03:33:00 PM  
    Starbucks makes you "rant"! Oh my, you are gonna die young if such things make you 'rant'. Calm down and chill :)

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page