Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Old People

My university, like any other large university, sprawls. It has multiple campuses in different areas of the same town, multiple student residential areas, and most of all, private houses rented out to students. So you get an absolutely massive area where students and locals alike both live.

Students and locals do not get along. 'Locals' are generally families. They live with kids, have salaries, cars, jobs, etc. They live in these houses permanently, and thus keep them clean and tidy. Students on the other hand are not permanent residents. They live in a house for maybe three years max, and theyre arent here to work and make a living. Theyre here to par-tay. So, theyre generally messy, loud, smelly and noisy. Thus, friction arises.

I do not live in a student area. I live on the other side of campus, away from the densely student-populated areas. Oh, theres a few students around, but theyre quite scattered, and most of them are post-grads.

I am not noisy, messy or smelly. I don't have problems with my neighbours. Everything is gravy with me. However, I do live in an area with lots and lots of old people. Pensioners, retired ppl, etc. Just up the road theyre building this massive old-folks home. Its basically an oldies area. Which is cool by me, but I wonder if I'm cool by them? I walk to campus (15 minutes) and occasionally I pass some senior citizens, and very often they look scared, confused, or in a hurry. They live in what is fast becoming a student town - a city maybe, population 200,000, where at least a quarter of that population I'd say are either students, or lecturers and university staff. Us students, generally speaking we're a wild bunch, with radical ideas. We're used to speed and activity and lots and lots of beer and hooliganism (not me, Im proper, lol). These old people, I wonder what goes thru their heads when they pass by us. Its no longer a world they recognise. Attitudes are different, sensibilities are different, morality is different, technology, the value or currency, everything is completely different than it was fifty years ago.

Do they feel confused? Helpless? Lost? Depressed that everythings gone down the crapper, what? I'd love to know really, and my heart goes out to them. This, probably more than anything else, is what makes me fear aging. Dorian Gray was afraid for his looks, I'm afraid for my understanding.

Posted by illogicist at 10:13 AM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Nash posted at 10/06/2005 06:38:00 AM  
    This is happening all over. I am some of those old folks wish they lived on their own and not be disturbed. But there may be many who understand the benefits students bring, like the rolling economy
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 10/06/2005 12:31:00 PM  
    Its true that the students are probably the prime movers of the economy, at least in this town. Theres so much dedicated to the students, so many businesses that have sprung up catering primarily to students, so many jobs created because of students. Lets hope they understand the changes, but do they appreciate them? With changes comes unstoppable changes to their lifestyles, and Im not sure they can adjust (or want to).
  3. Blogger Lym posted at 10/10/2005 11:33:00 PM  
    I think now that you have brought it up , we are looked down upon. Maybe more in a racist manner and I don't think they trust us much...Try public transports.

    Some old people are pretty mean. What happened to the innocent and sweet stereotypical image of old ladies ?
  4. Blogger illogicist posted at 10/12/2005 05:28:00 AM  
    You're right, some of them are pretty mean. Not all of them, some of them. I just wish you could tell the difference BEFORE you help them cross the road...let the mean ones do it themselves! :p

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page