Wednesday, June 22, 2005

My Last Day In The UK This (Academic) Year

I feel like I should make some monumental post. Some long, touching post, summing up my experiences here: hopes, dreams, loves, fears. The lessons I learnt, the people I came across, etc.

I can't be bothered. But I'll make an effort to make a more or less relevant post. But thats the beauty of blogs: I can always come back later and post anything I forgot.

1. The Puke

Went to a theme park on Saturday past. It was good, had good fun, sat in the front of one of the craziest rollercoasters I've ever been on (that was nuts I tell you). It was a super-hot day, probably the hottest of the year, and I got dehydrated pretty quick. On the way back, I felt I had to throw up. And throw up I did. Out the window of my friends car, going 90 miles an hour.

See, this is why I should have studied physics instead of economics. In physics, all the truth is revealed in its complex glory. In economics, we're too lazy for that, so we [b]assume[/b]. When throwing up, I [b]assumed[/b] that, by sticking my head out the window, it would all go outside.

I assumed wrong.

Oh, half of it went outside. It splashed the side of the car, and caught some idiot in a blue mini. That was funny. That was really funny, because in the midst of the after-puke mayhem, this guy pulls aside us, honks, and gives me the finger. Me, dazed and feeling week, return the love.

Half of it went inside too. Apparently its called "crosswinds", something my economist breed know nothing about. I actually hit 2 side windows on the opposite side of the car...and all in between, including my 2 friends.

Oh, it was the most embarassing moment of my life, which makes me question why I'm posting it on my blog, revealing it to the world. I guess because I'm not ashamed as such. It was funny: we all had a good laugh at my expense, and I made up for it by buying them dinner and cleaning up the car afterwards. We'll be able to talk about this for a while, and it makes a great story.

Moral of the story? Hmm...if you gotta puke, make sure to hit some friends. Then you can laugh about it later. I guess.

2. Responsibiliy
There is one thing I've learnt this year that seems to stand out above everything else in my mind. When I was in Oman, I was content to let others take a leading role in things. You know, you can be group leader, I'll contribute, because you can do a better job than me surely. That kind of thing. When I came here, I found out (the hard way) that every single person is incompetent. Nobody knows their elbow from their butt, so to speak. Thats an exaggeration, but basically if you want something done, you bloody well have to do it yourself. Otherwise a) it wont get done b) it wont get done the way you want it to get done.

Oh, Im not saying be dictatorial, not listen to others, etc. By all means, listen, respond, delegate. But be in control, if something is important to you. Don't rely on the ability of others, because you have it in you, if you desire, to get a job done better than anyone else.


Thats it for now I guess. Hmm.

Posted by illogicist at 3:40 PM

1 Comments

  1. Blogger illogicist posted at 7/02/2005 12:54:00 AM  
    lol, thats pretty bad too! :D

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page