Thursday, October 12, 2006

Its not everyday you meet someone from Oman

NP - Lynrd Skynrd - Freebird

Its not everyday you meet someone whos been to Oman. Hell, its not everyday you meet someone who's HEARD of Oman. Today was interesting though, I actually met two non-arabs who lived in Oman for a few years. I know, nothing out of the ordinary really, but its been a fascinating day, and it doesnt make it less interesting.

The first is a German girl on one of my courses. Its a small class, only about 25 people. Come to think of it, all my classes this semester are small...the biggest is about 50, and the smallest is probably around 13. Anyway, it was a double lecture, so we got a short break in the middle. I went outside for a breath of fresh air, and she came out for a smoke (she was a bit uncomfortable about the fact that shes the only person in the class who smokes). We chatted for a bit, and when I told her I was from Oman she got excited. Apparently she lived there when she was about 5. When I asked what her dad was doing there, she laughed and told me not to ("something to do with oil, you know"). Anyway, she doesnt remember it at all, but its strange...theres so few arabs in my university, so when you hear about Germans in Oman...I dunno.

The 2nd was a recruitment officer from a particular oil company who was here trying to give us an introduction. She worked on a project in Oman for 3 years, and I have a nice chat to her after her presentation and about Oman. That was really cool. I hope she offers me a job.

Oh, I also bumped into someone who was enrolling for arabic lessons. I thought she was english, but when I talked to her it turned out she was half Malaysian half Iranian. I've NEVER heard of that combination before, and its actually pretty interesting, for a variety of reasons. But all these things on the same day, well, its pretty unexpected. Im not a believer in coincidence, but I'll use it for lack of a better word. Interesting coincidence =p.

Posted by illogicist at 3:47 PM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Abdullah Al-Bahrani posted at 10/12/2006 05:52:00 PM  
    I understand! I get excited when someone knows where Oman is, let alone lived there.
    I dont think I ever ran into anyone here that has been to oman, not even the Arabs I know.
  2. Blogger Kay posted at 10/13/2006 12:10:00 PM  
    Try explaining that Oman isnt Amman, Jordan!
  3. Blogger illogicist posted at 10/13/2006 04:24:00 PM  
    lol kay, believe me I did that, the german girl was telling me all about how she lived there for so and so years, and after shes done, im like 'Oman, right? Not the capital of Jordan...' and she just gave me this weird look and was like 'yeah, of course!'

    Ive actually run into more people than you'd think who have some experience of Oman. Another german friend, his aunt worked in Oman for a number of years. I know two guys who lived there, and a few who've passed through the airport. I know a girl who spent one afternoon there, scuba diving. And I know this guy whos never actually been there, but has Omans entire history pretty much memorised. Its weird...
  4. Blogger Arabian Princess posted at 10/15/2006 12:18:00 PM  
    that sounds intresting .. I remmber the feeling too .. you would get all excited asking them where the've lived and what they did .. and then you realise its all because you miss it :)

    In Bahrain, we were in a coffee shop and we met a waitress who worked there and you would see her jumping of excitment just because we are Omanis .. woow that leaves a special feeling in the heart :)

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page