Sunday, November 27, 2005

Library On Sundays

Apologies that all my blogposts seem to be about the library these days, but there you go. You are what you eat, and I'm on a steady diet of graphs, equations and background noise.

Its fairly empty - mostly postgrads. I'm sitting in the cafe (my 2nd fav. place). Out of about 11 people there, about 6 are muslims - sort of unexpected, but not suprising I suppose. Even now theres four guys next to me on the next PC talking in a foreign language (Turkish im guessing) but who did say Salam Aleikum when they came in. Interesting, again not suprising.

There are definitely more muslims on campus this year. I think I mentioned before that its suprising when a day goes past and I dont see at least 2 or 3 muhajjaba girls. Theres more arabs too - last year I barely saw any, this year I see em often. Usually post graduates - but the suprising thing is I also see postgrad arab women, something virtually unknown last year. Its suprising the changes that can happen in a year, eh?

Oh, the other big influx of arabs is foundation students. Most of these may move on to other universities, some may stay, but I think its unlikely that the the overall number of arab undergrads will change too much next year. But then again you never know.

Does anybody else get this? When I study, things in the background blur. People speaking English behind me just now, I couldnt understand a word they were saying. I was sure it was english, but I didnt know what was being said! Same with a group of students speaking arabic - it just blurred. Arabic it was for sure - caught a few words here and there, but beyond that...

I take it as a good sign - means I'm immersed in my studies, lol.

Posted by illogicist at 5:53 AM

3 Comments

  1. Blogger Luisa posted at 11/27/2005 08:28:00 AM  
    I used to go to library to hook, but zero.
    How do you recognise Turkish?
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 11/27/2005 11:43:00 AM  
    I've been to Turkey, and plus I have a few Turkish friends, so I know sort of what the language sounds like.

    That, and I cant think of anywhere else they might have come from :p
  3. Blogger illogicist posted at 11/28/2005 01:47:00 PM  
    thanks for the comments guys, especially that....kind compliment, OD :p

    I was in the library today and I swear there wasn't a place to sit. It wasn't like this last year, its a little nuts. People seem to be working harder this year...competition!

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page