Friday, June 03, 2005

Vitruvian Man

NP - Kham, Ashikali / Natacha Atlas / Nawazish Ali Khan - Duden (remix)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Love it. Always have. And I'm not sure what about it. Reading the Da Vinci code just brought it back.

I read that this drawing proved that you could perfectly fit a square into a circle. I dont remember the details, but I found that interesting. Also, I saw the original with my own eyes in La Louvre...that always does something for you, seeing the original (kinda like seeing a band live).

I think its just the expression of power. Look at his face. Look at the arms, shoulders. Its defiant. Its powerful. I actually, for my GCSE art project, did a painting based on the Vitruvian Man. I have a picture of it somewhere, but the original is lost forever because the bastards never sent it back.

Anyway, what it was...I was infatuated with Norse mythology (I still am somewhat, its a lot richer than the Greek and others), and I wanted to do something about Norse mythology. The topic was 'beginnings', and I had to work around that.

What I did was actually quite tricky...I had a problem with scale. See, I wanted to draw the tree of life, Yggdrasil, and use that in the centre of the picture. But how to make it appear massive? Whatever I did, it didnt work too well, but nevermind! Im talking about my idea, not the reality here :p

NP - Ihlam Al Madfai - Chal Chal Alayea el Rumman

Basically, I wanted to incorporate early Christianity, the advent of it, with the end of the Norse pagan beliefs. I needed a way to do this...but I also wanted to stick Mr. Vitruvian in there :p I think that was my downfall.

So I did the tree, Yggdrasil. I'll tell you, that was tough. And out of the tree, I made Mr. Vitruvian, made of wood, as if he was part of the tree, but emerging out of it. He was shackled to the tree, as well, by reeds and that, vines etc. I dont remember if I did the 4 arms thing: I only did 2 legs. I wanted to make it look like Jesus on the cross, emerging from the tree: from the Yggdrasil, the centre of the Norse beliefs, to Jesus, the centre of Christianty, as if to show the beginning of Christianty form the end of those pagan religions.

I think it was a good idea, but I had a time limit and I couldn't execute it as well as I planned. I might try to do it again over the summer when I'm bored and have nothing else to do. hmm...now thats an idea...

Posted by illogicist at 1:31 PM

2 Comments

  1. Blogger Unknown posted at 6/06/2005 12:32:00 PM  
    actually , that image proves that the length from head to toe , is the same as the length from the right finger tip to the left finger tip. It's sort of an old measuring method that was used in creating portraits and sculptures in the past.
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 6/06/2005 02:21:00 PM  
    Ah, thanks Nabs, I didn't know that.

    It's a really cool sketch, I have to say. I wish I had more of an eye for this thing.

    I still need a host which gives me enough space to host mp3s :s (entirely legal, I assure you)

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page