Saturday, May 07, 2005

..As Much As Fresh Meat Loves Salt

NP - Dream Theater - Stream Of Conciousness

Theres this old story. An old king had 3 daughters. One day, he was feeling unloved for some reason, and he asked each of his daughters how much they loved him. The first said ''I love you as much as all the gold in the world.'' His head already bigger, he went to his second daughter, and she said ''I love you as much as all the silver in the world.'' (I guess in those days gold and silver were seen as having equal value). Finally the third daughter said ''I love you as much as fresh meat loves salt.'' He threw a fit, and kicked her out of Neverland (I dont blame him - its a pretty lame way of saying I love you).
Anyway, a few years later, it was the oldest daughter's malka. So this youngest daughter sneaks in somehow, and convinces the chefs to add no salt to all the meat being served. So the King eats this saltless meat, and immediately remembers his youngest daughter, and realises that she loved him the most. I remember I used to love that story as a kid and used to repeat it as a kid.


I dont know if as a kid I was stupid or what, maybe my anti-capitalist views were being developed even then...but I cant think of what the moral of the story is...nothing in the world is as important as...a good meal? Thats definitely persistent with my culture! Is it trying to say there are more important things in life than riches, such as good similes? What then of other poetic devices, are they not important? ''Oh father I love you as much as the fresh meat of guardianship? (ok somehow that sounded wrong) Perhaps she could have addressed her love to him as a Shakespearean Sonnet?

Maybe I'm overreacting just a little...but I've more than once forgotten to put salt on my food. I'll tell, if you're hungry enough, it doesn't make an ounce of difference (pun intended).

Posted by illogicist at 9:38 AM

4 Comments

  1. Blogger Samyah posted at 5/07/2005 11:58:00 PM  
    I liked that story, never heard it before.

    I guess it hints at not having to go to such lengths to proove love; you can do it with the things you do/say daily. Like when we say the little things matter more :)
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 5/09/2005 07:36:00 AM  
    I thought you would, M :p
  3. Blogger iamnasra posted at 5/09/2005 12:32:00 PM  
    This really nice story and yes I never heard it before..I enjoyed reading your poetic thoughts over here (If you can allow me to call peotic as it carry a bit of art in writing)
  4. Blogger illogicist posted at 5/09/2005 01:05:00 PM  
    Kaza: u may steal it if you want!

    Nasra: thanks :) I'm not a poet really, I dont know how to be, but I do like to enjoy my words when I write :p

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page