Friday, August 26, 2005

Pizza Hut's Kids Meal Policy!

The other day, my sister and her friend went into Pizza Hut for lunch. They weren't particularly hungry, so they each ordered the kids meal - I think its a small pizza and a drink for R.O. 1. The waiter told them, "I'm sorry, but we only serve the kids meal to children under 8 years old."

Inquiring why, the waiter just said its their policy. So they asked for the manager, because really, its pretty stupid to deny your customer something because they aren't eight years old. The manager came out, and defended the policy. When asked why this policy exists, he would say that they were losing money on that meal. Hmm. I'm not sure how you can lose money serving bread, cheese and carbonated water for a rial, but hey, the mysteries of Pizza Hut shall never be revealed to us hungry mortal consumers I suppose. When questioned further, he would say "its crystal clear ma'am, its our policy only to serve the kids meal to children 8 or below." Now, if I were in her position, something ugly would have happened, because I am not used to having people insult my intelligence over something so trivial. 'Its crystal clear'. Whats crystal clear to me is the stupidity of the Pizza Hut policy.

Another thing that bugs me is this 'Minute Maid' orange juice in McDonalds. Why would I care if my orange juice was Minute Maid, a brand you dont generally get in the shops around here, or Al-Rawabi? And in Burger King in Dubai, they advertise that they use some special brand of beef. Why do I want this special beef? Assuming its halal (and I assume it is), what the hell difference does it make dammit? Why does everything have to be a brand? Im worried about this new trend of American branding thats pushing its way into our market, where every little thing has to be branded, as the examples above. I dont care if my burger beef is from New Zealand or Salalah, provided its halal, clean, and tastes good.

Posted by illogicist at 1:52 AM

9 Comments

  1. Blogger Noors posted at 8/26/2005 12:28:00 PM  
    haha, I was supposed to join them for pizza, I think I missed on all the fun!

    Welcome back Z!
  2. Blogger illogicist posted at 8/26/2005 12:39:00 PM  
    thanks noors :)

    I went to Pizza Hut again, they wouldnt serve me the kids meal pizza :( we had a lot of fun regardless though.
  3. Blogger NiGhTFaCe posted at 8/26/2005 03:33:00 PM  
    That policy is really funny! Simply someone can make a take away order & have the meal.
  4. Blogger Samyah posted at 8/27/2005 07:25:00 AM  
    About the orange juice; some brands are more healthier than others. Therefore it can be an attractive selling point if the restaurant has the better kinds.

    Sometimes brands mean nothing; they're just a way to make money. But for the most part when it comes to food, its because they're made differently. And you want the one that either tastes the best or is the healthiest right?
  5. Blogger illogicist posted at 8/27/2005 11:32:00 AM  
    well i dont really want it thrown in my face.
  6. Blogger muscati posted at 8/27/2005 02:05:00 PM  
    If I'm not mistaken Minute Maid is a Coca-Cola owned brand and since McDonalds serves Coke in its restaurant it has to serve only Minute Maid orange juice as well.

    I've no problem with that. Used to have a problem with McD's in Oman not having Orange juice and only serving fizzy drinks to kids.
  7. Blogger illogicist posted at 8/28/2005 12:05:00 PM  
    Well okay that is a fair point - its better than nothing. I dont go to McDs much - I dont like the food and I have issues with their corporate policies, but I did go a couple of days ago and had an orange juice, and a McIceCream or whatever they Mc-call it. It was okay I guess, and I do try to avoid the fizzy these days.
  8. Blogger Samyah posted at 8/28/2005 02:47:00 PM  
    McFlurry. I love those but DQ's Blizzards are better.

    I can't stand McDonalds though, just a bunch of unhealthy oils and sugars made into a pretty dish.
  9. Blogger Lym posted at 8/29/2005 02:02:00 AM  
    Perhaps this policy was recently enforced. I used to order kids meal at Pizza Hut between the ages of 12-14. They never refused my order.

Post a Comment

« Home

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Just another blogger, interested in everything, committed to nothing.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

  • Samyah
  • Leen
  • Muscati & Wife
  • A Woman In Black
  • Lym
  • Tia
  • Libellula
  • Soul Rebel
  • Fatamo
  • Noora
  • Kay
  • PizzaQueen
  • --------------------------
  • Blogarama
  • iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator
  • Academics Blog Top Sites
  • Blog Flux Directory
  • Blog Directory - Add Link
  • Blog Directory - Add Link

    Locations of visitors to this page